Peak View Restaurant & Tearoom
Arresting views in a restful place
Peak View Restaurant & Tea Room, Buxton New Road (A537), Macclesfield Forest, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 0AR
Tel. 01298 22103 or
History - How the tearoom began
From what we have recently been told, this is our understanding of the Peak View Tearoom History………………
In 1956 Mrs Winifred Ivy and John Mason first erected the original tearoom ‘The Moorland Café’. The Fireplace stone came from Errwood Hall where John Mason was an ex footman and gamekeeper. A local Buxton artist painted the Café in 1958; the painting was purchased and restored and is situated in the tearoom. ‘The Moorland Café’ was sold and renamed ‘The Dish and Spoon’ which even today is its most remembered name. There are 2 pictures with the owners at the time in the hallway.
In 1973, an interesting fact according to the Macclesfield Express Advertiser was that a driver of a school minibus got a shock when he dropped off a party of Children at the Dish and Spoon Cafe and saw a 250lb unexploded bomb. The then cafe owner, Albert Capper, contacted the police who subsequently called the army bomb squad to defuse the situation!!!
In the early 1980’s, Alan Winchester purchased the Cafe from the owners of the Dish & Spoon which he carefully renovated and built an extension on the side and renamed it the Shining Tor restaurant. The extension was built using stone from an old Mill in Yorkshire and was built by a local builder. We understand the smaller of the two downstairs rooms (tearoom) was used during the week as the Cafe, at the weekends it was restricted customers requiring snacks as opposed to meals. The large room (now forms part of the owner’s house) was open on a Sunday for people wanting restaurant style meals.
Towards the end of 1989 the successful restaurant was sold to Mr and Mrs Griffiths, who we believe ran a small café in Stockport but unfortunately there is little known at this time and we have no details to write. Julia and Chris Bates bought the property around 1998 /99 and built the business up until they sold in 2007.
In 2007 Gail and Philip Heath bought the tearooms. The building has many of its original features from the original beams, firestone to the original Traser tiles which were very expensive in the 1950’s.
In 2013, the tearoom w was extended and refurbished with improved facilities for the less able bodied.